Could you help me?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

zxlair

Could you help me?

Unread post by zxlair »

Hello everyone. i am an english teacher , worked in a middle school. i have just gratuated from the university and worked in a key school for neary half a year. I teach students in grade 7. Before i teach them, they were taught by a very experienced teacher who has worked for more than 20 years. Compared with the experienced teacher, i am too naive and immatue. SOMe of the stduents are always naughty in my class. I have tried to negotiate with their parents. BUt it was useless. BUt their behaviors have strongly affect the process of my class and the interest of other students. HOw can i deal with these situations? i am really worried about that. PLease help me ! Thanks a million.
To tell you the truth, i have devoted myself into teaching. BUt i still find that some of the students don't like me at all. It is really a challenging for me. BUt i have to hang in there. SO i want to find out some more effective methods to help me conquer the difficulties.
Thank you very much. :lol: :D :D
Josec

Re: Could you help me?

Unread post by Josec »

Dear Zxlair,
I'm so sorry to hear that your students are misbehaving. It is very hard to be a new teacher following a well-liked and experienced one who left. Also, middle school students can be really hard on new teachers/students/themselves. In my experience (34 years teaching in middle school, now retired), here are some things that may help:
First, you need a mentor teacher. No matter how many courses you took, no matter how smart you are, no matter how well-intentioned you are, you need to talk (repeatedly) with someone who's been there and done that. Your school's administration should already know that and should have assigned you a mentor teacher. But, sigh, they didn't. Oh, well -- search one out. Is there a teacher's lounge? Is there a group of beginning teachers? Is there a sympathetic face in the office or the halls? Any experienced middle school teacher Knows that new teachers need help and almost all are more than willing to give it if you ask. Really.
Second, you need thick skin and a heaping sense of humor. (Not to mention patience, prayer and perseverence.) I know it's hard to remember that your students are just "normal" kids, not monsters or enemies. (Though no middle schooler is actually "normal." :D) They love stuff that's fun and funny and they'll admire you for not giving up on them. At least you're teaching a cool and lively subject that they can really enjoy learning. If you can give them something to do that'll make them (and you) laugh, it'll help break the cycle of feeling nervous and uptight.
Third, it'll help if you can streamline getting class started and keep it full of short, meaningful, hands (or mouths)-on activities. If school policies allow it, maybe you could use a camera or your cellphone to take pictures of the noisy, disruptive kids and post them on your bulletin board to be class or group or activity leaders. Loud middle schoolers love to be important and recognized. Quiet middle schoolers love to be quietly noticed and appreciated, but not dragged into the spotlight. It is useful to keep in mind that most of your students will experience rapid changes of mood and emotion and have teeny-tiny attention spans and memories. Each day will be a new adventure--you'll never be bored :roll:
Have you considered incorporating: music? art? food? teaming with other subject matter teachers on a project? team games?
I hope some of these suggestions are helpful. The first year is so hard. You're still learning how to be you and discovering what works for you (and them), and what doesn't.
Feel free to write again if you wish. -- Jo
seadreamer

Unread post by seadreamer »

Hi..I really understand what you mean. I have been teaching for four years,and my first year was a nightmare.Now I'm relaxed.I really like teaching and I always try to do something new in my classes.No matter how you behave to your students, you should give them time to understand you. Just be patient and determined to be a teacher. They are teenagers and they can't see what is really right or wrong. And if their parents don't care about them,they become opposed to everthing especially to their teachers.
To cope with the problematic students in your classes, first warn them that you don't approve the behaviour.(do this face to face,and alone)Then give alternatives about that,if you do that-I will do this.If you don't do this,I will do that. And ask the student to choose which one is the right way.This is a one way.you should try and see the results.
abedri

Unread post by abedri »

hi i admire the way you deal with the problem , i expect you art a good new teacher, you have faced a very normal situation , take it easy you can do nothing , by the passage of the time those naughty pupils will see that you are goog enough to be listened to .
zxlair

Unread post by zxlair »

Dear Josec ,seadreamer and abedri :thank you for your suggestions and envouragement. those all help me a lot. By using your advice, i did make a great progress in teaching. Thanks a million.
Hope we will comtinue our discussion here to share our opinion and feelings on teaching. this will be a best place for our discussion.