New teacher

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

rjohnson

New teacher

Unread post by rjohnson »

Hi everyone..
I have experience with esl but not as a private tutor and I just finished my first week with a pair of twins who recently moved to America with their father. I'm essentially beginning from scratch, save most of the alphabet and a few phrases they have learned outside my instruction. I've been working with the alphabet and sight words this week. They start school at the end of August at whatever level they end with me. Am I doing wrong by taking a teaching them to read approach? Should I be trying to get them to understand how to have conversations instead? I'm a little lost with the newness of this. Any advice is appreciated.
Susan

Re: New teacher

Unread post by Susan »

I think a balanced approach would be better: some reading along with speaking, writing and listening.

How old are the twins? If they're very young, eg 6 I'd spend even less time on writing. You can limit writing to copying at that age.
rjohnson

Unread post by rjohnson »

We are doing a mix of reading and speaking skills..they're 9 years old. My real question is a little hidden..should I continue teaching them how to read and speak or should I be teaching them key phrases they need for school and how to respond? E.g. May I use the restroom? type things vs the alphabet, sight words, etc. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed and lost and it's just week 2..
Susan

Unread post by Susan »

Good idea to teach them key phrases.

Are you using a coursebook with them? That will help you a lot in your planning and you'll feel less overwhelmed if you have a book to follow.
Karam

Unread post by Karam »

Hi to every one with who this world exists and moves towards what we call is innovation, devotion, creation and development.

I practice teaching English for couple of years, but I have found this forum now...where I can share my ideas and come to learn something that of new and something with help of you would certainly be solved.