Help!! 1st lesson

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

cabsy83

Help!! 1st lesson

Unread post by cabsy83 »

I have somehow managed to land myself teaching a frenchman english on a one to one basis. I am not qualified but I was told that he barely spoke any english. After meeting him, his english is great conversationally. I was told by the person who employed me that it would be largely terminology related to his work with a little grammar. The student however has requested grammar right away. I thought I'd be able to build up to that slowly and be able to swot up on it myself.
I have met with him for an hour and have an hour and a half class on monday with no idea of what to do with him. Can anyone give me any help please. Oh and we have 12 weeks to get him up to scratch or he might not be able to say in his job here!!
I jus want to do the best that I can
pthompson4
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

A Suggestion

Unread post by pthompson4 »

Here's what I would do:
In this lesson you are going to focus on past, present, and future tense of verbs AND use specific terminolgy related to his work. You might ask him to bring his job description, any manuals, notices,samples, and such which contain terminology to the meeting.
Example (assuming he is responsible for budget). You can change this to fit him.
1. Yesterday I worked on deciding which items in income and expenses could be changed.
2. Today I am working on the changes in the figures and getting it all to balance.
3. Tomorrow I will work on completing the first draft of the budget.
Just an idea.

Paul
You may know his job, and so you could prepare a starting list of verbs to use. When you get the words and terminology from him, I think you can write these together and practise them.
Considering TESOL somewhere
eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

first class...

Unread post by eric_p_m »

Dear Cabsy83,

Just let me add to Paul's advice. Regardless of what the company told you or what your student said, you need to continue with your initial assessment of his linguistic skills, further probing his errors. Once you encounter errors, annotate them and reflect on them afterwards, enhancing your curriculum to better meet his needs.

Visit the company's web site to get a better idea of what they do and utilize this new knowledge to your advantage, taking advantage of open-ended questions to further measure his proficiency in the target language.

Ensure that your lessons are interactive and keep his motivation level high, as he may be tired after his day at work. As you are preparing him to function effectively with his colleagues, you might want to incorporate role playing with them or better yet, give him tasks to do that involve getting to know his coworkers better. This strategy should greatly enhance his acceptance rating throughout the office.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/