Quiz: Lessons from Romania
First watch Lessons from Romania at:
Then answer the questions below.
1. In the introduction, how does Daniel Emmerson describe the level of English in Romania?
2. According to Joanna, how has the EFL learning experience changed in Romania since the communist period?
- Learners have more fun in the classroom now.
- Teachers now focus on grammar translation.
- School hours are longer than they used to be.
- Most Romanian students learn English online.
3. Which do younger Romanian students tend to have more problems with?
4. Using role-play, videos and games in the classroom makes learning more
5. Which of the following helped teacher Sergiu learn English in his childhood years?
- English TV programs became available in Romania.
- Romanian writers began publishing English comic books.
- Romania dropped the Grammar Translation method.
- Sergiu's family invited a native speaker to live with them.
6. Alecs says he was able to learn English because he had
- strong listening skills
- years of dedication
- great teachers
- interesting textbooks
7. An auditive learner is one who learns best by
8. What musical item or items do we see covered in grass?
- a neon-lit guitar
- a piano
- a concert hall
9. What did one of the interviewees do to her TV?
- She taped her English lessons over her favourite programs.
- She covered up the place where English translations appear.
- She kept a list of new English vocabulary on the screen.
- She broke it so that she would have more time to study.
10. According to one interviewee, if you like learning English you should do it
- so you can teach it
- for the sake of it
- before you are too old
- until it's perfect